Skip to main content

Your Child Is Not A Faberge Egg: How To Raise A Tough Baby

Earlier today I took my five year-old grandson to the local playground and was looking forward to showing him how to climb on the monkeybars.  I was aghast when I discovered that the monkeybars had been taken down years before, all because some kid fell and cracked open his noggin like a ripened coconut.  Maybe children these days have softer heads, I don't know.

When I was a boy I had climbed all over the monkeybars and fell numerous times, and I turned out just fine.  These days, parents coddle their kids so much that if they get a scraped knee they get taken to the emergency room for a full battery of tests.  If this continues, in a few years our nation will become one inhabited by a bunch of sissies.

You see, kids need to grow up believing that they are strong enough to handle all of life's hardships.  Kids need to be made aware that mama's not always going to be around to kiss their boo boos.

Fortunately, my parents were keenly aware of this and they did their best to raise a boy who would grow up to be one tough son-of-a-gun (as you can see by my baby picture above).  As a boy I never had a fancy bed.  Instead, my daddy made me sleep on the floor out in the toolshed.  He would wake me up at the crack of dawn every morning by dousing me with a bucket of water and mother would serve me a cup of black coffee, cold.  "Hot coffee is for wimps," she would tell me.  "Now shut your yappin' and drink up.  It'll put hair on your chest."  And by gum, she was right.  She would then hand me a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes and send me off to school.

And when it came time to play, we did so without the need for helmets and knee pads.  The only time I ever wore a helmet as a boy was when I was playing football, and those helmets were made out of leather.  I had eleven concussions by the time I graduated high school but I turned out alright.  Sure, I sometimes forget the names of family members and every once in a while I have to be reminded by my wife that my underpants go on beneath my trousers, but in my opinion a little brain damage is a small price to pay for behaving like a real man.

My message to parents is this:  Stop treating your children as if they were made out of glass.  A child's body is a lot more durable and resilient than you think.  There's a reason why babies have soft skulls; it protects their tiny little brains when you drop them.  Most of the time, they'll bounce right back up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Deal With Having an Ugly Baby

If you're the parent of an ugly baby, you've probably been asking yourself lots of questions ever since your bouncing bundle of shame came into this world. Questions like, "Is this some sort of punishment from God?", "Should I leave him in a dumpster?" or "How much can an ugly baby fetch on the black market?" These types of questions are perfectly normal. The only thing that's abnormal is being the parent of an ugly baby and acting like you have the cutest, sweetest, or prettiest baby in the world. That, my friend, is mental sickness.  When my oldest son was born, I was asking the same questions myself. I fell to my knees and raised my arms to the heavens, asking, "What have I done to deserve this?" In the delivery room, I pleaded with the doctor to put him back in because he didn't look quite done yet. When that didn't work, I waited until no one was looking and tried to swap him with a better-looking baby from the hos

GOP candidates as classic Twilight Zone characters!

Anyone who has been following Republican politics this year will tell you that, at times, the race has looked more like The Twilight Zone than actual politics. Here's what the current crop of presidential hopefuls would look like if they were characters from Rod Serling's classic series.

In defense of high school football

Once again, high school football is under attack by lame-brained, limp-wristed, lily-livered pantywaists who believe that anyone who straps on a jock is taking the first irrevocable step toward an inevitable, premature departure from this mudball called Earth. The latest anti-jock rhetoric comes in the wake of the death of New Jersey high school senior quarterback Evan Murray, a tragedy that followed the deaths of two other high school athletes in recent weeks, Ben Hamm from Oklahoma, and Tyrell Cameron from Louisiana. With three kids gone to meet their maker in as many weeks, it's only natural that over-protective parents throw a hissy hit over the glorious American institution that is high school football. However, this anti-jock fervor is nothing more than contemporary culture's latest attempt to neuter the American male-- a project that has been going on for decades, as part of the left-wing agenda to transform red-blooded American boys into sniveling wimps who would